In this article we will talk about what can be done on our own to prevent or not aggravate dysphonia caused by vocal abuse, that is, by the incorrect use of the voice. There is vocal pathology due to surgical causes, to which this article is not directed, since here we will talk about some guidelines that we can follow to improve the voice.
- Reduce or eliminate the consumption of irritating substances or substances that dry the throat: alcohol, coffee, tobacco, spicy and very hot or very cold drinks.
- Use a tone of voice that feels comfortable and does not generate tension. We tend to raise the tone to increase the volume and this is a cause of vocal abuse.
- Try to maintain good posture. This makes it easier to breathe fully.
- Drink enough water to keep the mucous membranes hydrated. Between 2 and 3 liters a day.
- Get enough sleep. The voice needs rest.
- Do not shout. If we need to shout because there is a lot of ambient noise, it is better to wait until we are in a place without so much noise so as not to force the voice.
- Avoid throat clearing. It is better to cough softly to clear your throat.
- If we are in a state of tension or agitation, it will be more likely to force the voice.
- Maintain a balanced diet.
If following these guidelines you experience frequent dysphonia, you should ask to be evaluated by an ENT (Otolaryngologist) and / or a speech therapist.